Our first trip for a couple of months. We've been too busy with the new house until now, but things are starting to settle down at last.
Not much choice at this time of year, a lot of sites are shut, but plenty of availability at the Hawes C&MC site. We quite like this site and the village of Hawes is ok, so we booked a two night break after checking that the weather was going to be ok. Big mistake...never trust the weatherman!
The journey from Southport to our storage site in Lancaster should have taken about the same amount of time as from our old house, but of course we got a bit lost and it took longer than it should have. The caravan is ok and the onward journey to Hawes was uneventful.
Plenty of pitches to choose from on arrival, probably too much choice for us!
No leaks or burst pipes, so it didn't take long to set everything up. Then we headed into the village, to the Wensleydale Creamery, to take advantage of the recently introduced 10% discount for C&MC members. Bought some cheeses, then had a drink in three of the pubs and dinner in the last of them.
We peaked far too early and retreated to the caravan for the rest of the night in. Too late to get any tasty treats, no shops open after 5.30pm in Hawes!
The weather forecast for today was white cloud with a small percentage chance of rain. As wrong as wrong could be!
We drove to Horton-in-Ribblesdale and went for what should have been a nice easy walk to Moughton scars, an area of limestone pavements near Ingleborough. It was raining when we started walking and didn't stop pretty much all day. We thought about turning back at the start but carried on, thinking it might brighten up! It didn't and the walk turned into a wet and windy trudge along muddy paths. It looks like a nice area, though, and we will return in better weather.
Horton-in-Ribblesdale railway station
King of the coop!
Not a great day day for pics!
On the way back we picked up some provisions and had a other night in.
The journey back to the storage site was ok, but then we got lost on the way back to Southport! We'll have to find an easier route for next time.
Not a great trip, but we got to check on the caravan and try out the new journey, so not all bad.
Probably nothing until mid February, and then only if the weather is ok.